17th of June 2015
This year, we are celebrating the Icelandic Independence day 17th of June like we did last year. Members will come together over the weekend of 12 -14th of June. This year the place is the same as last year, Ocean Beach Holiday Park, Umina Beach. It’s about an hours drive north of Sydney. Contact the park for the type of accommodation and period you wish on 02 4379 9444. Make sure you mentioned that your are attending the Icelandic Australian Association Independence Day event over the weekend of 12th to 14th of June this year and you would like to book a Palm Villa or Sunset Villa. That is the general area we intend to stay in. The park has other alternate accommodations types, so you can choose the type most suitable for your situation.
You can come on the Friday and stay until Sunday, or a shorter period. If you can’t stay overnight, you are most welcome to come on the Saturday for the day or less.
The agenda will be as follows:
Friday 12th of June – evening. Early weekend stayer arrivals usually walk to the nearby Club Umina for a dinner and chat.
Saturday 13th of June:
- Around 10am – Shared community breakfast in the morning. (Bring something on the BBQ to share) We pool all the chairs and fire up the BBQ’s to have shared breakfast.
- After breakfast – free time where you can walk to Umina shopping street or go to the Umina beach.
- Around 2-3pm – Simmi will bring with him some Viking gear, helmet, sword and a shield. You can try out some true Viking warrior equipment and get a selfie!
- Around 3pm – The annual IAA Quizathon. (An easy walk around the park to find and guess the answers to 15 multiple choice trivia questions on Australia and Iceland.)
- Around 7pm – Before dinner we will have a formal recognition of the independence day and why we are coming together.
- Around 7pm shared dinner in the evening. (Bring something to share). We get together in one of the larger cabins and have a shared dinner. Everyone brings something to put on the table. Don’t bring too much!
- After dinner, we will go through all the trivia questions of the day and hand out prizes.
- Then, we have some fun games for everyone.
See details for the park at Ocean Beach Holiday Park
Ocean Beach Holiday Park is located at Umina Beach near Woy Woy, north of Sydney.
HOW TO GET HERE
Street Address: Sydney Avenue UMINA BEACH NSW 2257
How to get to Ocean Beach Holiday Park by car
- Take the F3 Freeway to the Gosford/Woy Woy Exit off Freeway (same exit as the Reptile Park)
- Turn right onto Woy Woy Road (directly after Shell Service Station on right) – Please note this road has an 8 tonne limit – please see below for alternate route*
- Follow the road until you cross the railway track, continue to roundabout.
- Turn right at roundabout onto Ocean Beach Road
- Follow Ocean Beach Road for approx 7 minutes to another roundabout
- Turn right into Sydney Avenue
Take first left and follow to Umina Beach Surf Club Car Park
- Turn right at the Umina Beach Precinct Park
- Continue along the laneway and you will see Reception
- *Instead of turning right into Woy Woy Road, continue straight ahead on Central Coast Highway
- Turn right at lights into Brisbane Water Drive
- Follow this road along the water and pass Woy Woy Station on your right
- Turn left into Ocean Beach Road and continue from Step 5 above
- GPS Coordinates: Latitude: -33.529858, Longitude: 151.311393